Canon 1174 § 2 : Others also of Christ’s faithful are earnestly invited, according to circumstances,
to take part in the liturgy of the hours as an action of the Church.


3/31/2010

Hopefully an Answer . . .

The question was :
‘I have been trying to pray the LOTH for a few years now using the Christian Book of Prayer, I am just still not getting it. Any suggestions? God bless’

I’m assuming that the book in use is ‘Christian Prayer : The Liturgy of the Hours’ which is published in the US by Catholic Book Publishing Inc. , and which seems to provide what you need to say Morning & Evening Prayer for each day.

I don’t have a copy – I’m working from what I can find online – but it appears to me to have everything in it but, as is common with ‘condensed’ versions (and the ‘Shorter Christian Prayer’ makes this even more true) they try only to print anything once, so that you have to keep on jumping backwards and forwards.

That can be a real nuisance, especially if there aren’t enough marker ribbons : although you can always either buy some extra ones, or use holy cards to solve that problem.

The questioner doesn’t exactly say why he’s not ‘getting it’; but my suspicion would be that – precisely because of the compact format, and all the hopping about which it involves – there is no feeling of continuity and ‘flow’ to the Office : and I notice that one of the people commenting on the book on Amazon.com said that although she has been paying the LOTH for ten years, she still needs to use a ‘cheat sheet’ to help her find her way through it – she recommends ‘The S. Joseph Guide to Christian Prayer’.

If that is the problem, then that advice may well be helpful; because it’s certainly true that unfamiliarity with your Office Book distracts, and probably detracts, from praying the Office effectively : or at least, we think it does – God may have other ideas.

I don’t know if that helps : but if the problem is a more definite one, then please do come back to me.

2 comments:

  1. The Collins Morning & Evening Prayer with Night Prayer is simple enough to follow. In ordinary time you only need to flip to the back cover for the Benedictus/Magnificat. During Lent/Advent/Easter etc it's still only in 2 parts. Available from Amazon, and most other large booksellers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The point is to pray. I'd say follow as best as you can and/or do what you're comfortable with. I've prayed LOH with Cistercians, Benedictines, Marists, Xaverians,Dominicans,and various Laity, and all are a little bit different. Try praying on-line until you're comfortable to pray by yourself. Most of all don't fret about it; the point is to pray.

    ReplyDelete